Tuesday 20 December 2016

Needlefelted Toadstool Cottage

I made this little needlefelted cottage on Monday.

It is made out of a toilet paper roll. I am sure there are many ways to create one of these, but if you would like to follow my example this is what I did...

Make a template/pattern of the toilet roll, so basically measure the height and circumference of the roll and create a rectangle to those dimensions on paper.

Design your cottage, include windows, a door, anything you fancy, by drawing on the pattern with pencil. Cut out the windows, I just cut one side and the top of the door, so it didn't fall out!

Wrap this pattern around your toilet roll and mark your windows etc with pencil. Cut these out. (Refer above paragraph re the door). Cut a piece of felt material the same size as the rectangle pattern and repeat.

It is so much easier to deal with a flat piece of material, so I then set about decorating the outside of my cottage in this way. I used felt material for the windows, and cut out circles (I actually used craft circle punches, to create another template in card, so all the windows would be the same size). I used tacky glue to attach them to the base felt - you could stitch these if you prefer. I used the same process for the door. As I wanted a different coloured door, I cut out the door on my felt base - but NOT on the toilet roll, as you need something to attach the door to.

I then needlefelted my design onto the felt. Vines, toadstools, a little orange butterfly, a bird complete with nest and eggs.

Once I was happy with the look of my cottage. I wrapped the base around the toilet roll and stuck it all in place with tacky glue, making sure the edges (windows, top and bottom and door) were well glued.

I needle felted the red roof and added white spots using needle felting. If you prefer you could easily make a cone top with a pretty piece of scrapbooking paper or card. Glue around the top of the toilet paper roll and adhere the roof.

To light the little cottage, simply slip a LED battery tea light candle under the tube, and turn on...



No comments:

Post a Comment